To ensure Readiness Through Awareness, the objectives of the DTIRP outreach program are defined in DoD Instruction 5205.10 These objectives are summarized below.
- Provide arms control treaty inspection readiness advice and support, as requested, to DoD Components and defense contractor facilities responsible for protecting DoD equities subject to arms control implementation activities.
- Conduct outreach activities to promote arms control security awareness, including developing and distributing educational materials, in coordination with the appropriate Office of the Secretary of Defense Treaty Management Office.
- Conduct analyses of arms control-related threats to determine susceptibility and analyze vulnerabilities potentially impacting U.S. equities.
- Provide advice and assistance on arms control security planning to non-Defense agencies and industry facilities, when requested, and when approved by the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics in coordination with the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Strategy and Threat Reduction.
- Coordinate with the Defense Security Service Academy (DSSA) or other training organizations to develop and execute a comprehensive training program on arms control issues and to provide necessary resources.
- Coordinate within the DTIRP Coordination Group (DCG) to provide assistance and advice on assessing and managing risks associated with on-site inspection activities; assistance may include software development, analyses, training, and other outreach activities.
- Conduct arms control treaty verification research and development activities.
- Coordinate with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to provide counterintelligence and security countermeasures analyses and support for Combatant Commands.
back to top